Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Abstract in Melaland - Art, Fashion, and Jewelry

Melasdesign Abstract Intro

As I write, it's the end of October, and while ghosts and ghouls are still on my mind, I'm finding time on this chilly, dreary day to reflect on the non-Halloween work of the last while. After a concentrated period of illustration work on the Dream Series (Society6 / RedBubble), I needed to cut loose and explore my abstract inclinations. Here I'm featuring work in two areas: artwork as compositions for wall art, also to be used for fashion, home decor, bags, and tech, and then handmade metal clay jewelry, which is of abstract sculptural nature. 

Since the opening of my art-to-product shops two years ago, I've regularly produced abstract photomanipulations, which is something I've enjoyed doing since the near advent of Photoshop. Now I'm taking things a step further, creating actual paintings and using them as is, or as a springboard for further digital images. In some cases the line between the two mediums is blurred. It's been very satisfying to get back to the organic aspect of "real" painting. 

Fashion by Melasdesign on RedBubble
Fashion by Melasdesign on RedBubble

Metal clay is a medium where I'm finally hitting my stride. I work with fine silver, copper, and bronze metals, and have found that my best work results in thinking sculpturally, rather than purely objectively. The examples below are my original work and can be found for sale in the Melasdesign Handmade Shop, along with original paintings and some fiber work. I concentrate on making pendants, because I do not have to think in such a way that the object be duplicated, as I would with earrings, which frees me to do more organic forms than otherwise (at this point in my development).

Knifed

Here's an image that made a splash, so titled in reference to palette knife work. I'd love to see this made into a puzzle, but I am not that mean. ;) Irregular repetition makes a colorful treat for the eyes. This work is fun as wall art, but also looks great on fashion and home decor. It even makes a crazy phone case.


Knifed by Melasdesign

Blue Silver Melting Heart Pendant

This is a sculptural pendant piece of Fine Silver which is set off by copper wire and a bold 3mm leather cord. The blue-to-purple-to-yellow patina has been lacquered for permanency, so no worries about this piece getting tarnished. It will keep the lovely hues that formed so surprisingly in the patina process. It's a heart for those too cool to wear a heart pendant! ;)


Blue Silver Melting Heart Pendant by Melasdesign

Stripped

As mentioned in the introduction, I've been doing a lot of painting lately. I've also been experimenting with broadening my palette. With this piece, I had fun with the best slices from the past few months. It is an eye-catching composition that has been popular both as is and as fashion design (on RedBubble). It reminds me of the ends of record album covers on a shelf. 


Stripped by Melasdesign

Vertebrate Object Fine Silver Pendant

Since it was nearing October when I made this pendant in Fine Silver, I got to thinking about monsters and aliens. I ended up with this design, which reminds me of the spine of a bug/vertebrate hybrid monster that could star in its own sci-fi/horror movie. The patina came out a spectacular silver-black. The pendant has been varnished to maintain the effect.


Vertebrate Object Pendant by Melasdesign

612 Lake View Terrace

This is the result of gaining access to better camera tech than I've had thus far. Pure and simple. The painting is in oil and measures about a foot square, and is from the early 2010's. I've uploaded the image to my art-to-product shops, so it may be found on many different products. The original is available in the Melasdesign Handmade Shop. The image created reminds me of an aerial view of a home with a terrace on a sunny day that's lakeside to Lake Michigan. Knife paintings seem to be very popular, so consider adding one to your collection. I believe they are a form of abstract art that is accessible to all, in that the process is easily understood.


612 Lake View Terrace by Melasdesign

Circle Wedges Fine Silver Pendant

Here's another hand-sculpted piece with black patina. It is hand-built of geometric shapes, set off by a ring that's organic in nature. The piece's bale is on the reverse side of the circle, so the pendant hangs in front of the neck wire and not below it. This was formed from my wish to combine typical geometric jewelry forms with an organic element.  

Circle Wedges Fine Silver Pendant by Melasdesign

Raw Emotion

Moody and colorful, with earth tones in contrast to bright colors, I called this one "Raw Emotion," because it brought to mind a visual of the inner-workings of someone who is conflicted, but leaning to the positive side of things. Colors crash like waves. This piece looks absolutely stunning on RedBubble fashion and also is served up nicely in a framed setting.


Abstract Emotion by Melasdesign

Organic Form Copper Pendant

This piece from metal clay is copper with a light patina on 3mm black leather cord. I'm so used to seeing geometrically based jewelry that I decided to explore more flowing, organic forms. It's an abstract shape for the sake of abstraction.


Organice Form Copper Pendant by Melasdesign

Fall is Fading

This digital abstract was made as a reaction to the #metoo campaign ignited in response to Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse allegations. I wussed out and titled it "Fall is Fading" for longevity's sake, instead of "Me Too," as I had considered. Fall *is* fading, so the title fits, BUT the real energy behind the painting had to do with past experiences and the sickening feeling of seeing how many friends and colleagues also said "me too." Sexual harassment, to abuse and violence by strangers, even to familial sexual abuse are *NOT* uncommon things, although many victims (and the public) are led to believe so in an attempt to silence them (or told they will have no power in court, or that nobody will believe them, or, or, or,....). I've done a lot of research, and the statistics are horrifying. Even in the midst of the #metoo campaign, I ran into people who said "well, you know, it's not that common." It is distressingly common, and few are being held accountable. Something's gotta give. May there one day be results from strength in numbers.


Fall is Fading by Melasdesign

Crescent Moon Pendant

In the same way I made a non-stereotypical heart above, with this pendant I chose to explore the crescent moon. It is made of copper, and the slight cracking that occurred in firing add to the organic feel of the piece. This one is for the mystics!


Crescent Moon Pendant by Melasdesign

Hot Hot Hot

This is another original knife painting in oil on canvas which measures 12x12. It was originally made for a gallery show having to do with images dealing with fire. The reds and yellows are offset by streaks of gold-toned paint. I made the motion of the palette knife make flame-like shapes out of the raised paint. The title is borrowed from a song by the Cure. The original painting is still available. Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing it. Otherwise, it is also available on a wide variety of merch in the following shops:


Hot Hot Hot by Melasdesign

Fall Cat Pattern

The last two graphics are actually patterns, but there are quite a few abstract cats if you look closely. The cats and swirls create a complex pattern reminiscent of damask. I prefer it on home decor! My pup is shown modeling a pillow below. 


Fall Cat Pattern by Melasdesign

There Are Cats Pattern

A reworking of the above graphic with a decidedly different color scheme.


There Are Cats Pattern by Melasdesign

Elsa the Wonder Dog

What better than a black beauty to set off a lovely fall colored pattern?