Thursday, April 23, 2015

A Collection of Vases - Spring 2015


EDIT 9/17: Since this was posted, I have closed my Etsy shop. Please visit http://melasdesign.com/shop/4589939505 for handmade items from Melasdesign. 


Introducing the Melasdesign collection of Vases (which double as vessels and triple as wine cozies) for Spring 2015. Each vase has a glass core, so it does hold water. The felt is sturdy enough to be a vessel on it's own if the glass is not desired. Each vase (but for the first pictured, which is taller) has an opening that measures 3.5 inches and stands 8 inches tall. A variety of materials are used, including Merino, Blue Faced Leicester, Corriedale, Rambouillet Cross and Finn wools, and Silk. Each vase is one of a kind. Vases can be purchased in the Melasdesign Etsy shop: http://melasdesign.etsy.com
(cont'd.)


This collection is a study in color and materials. I was fascinated by the thought that such a basic form could be varied in so many ways. To a great extent, I composed my own color mixtures by making wool batt. It was a great experience seeing just how the different types of wool behaved, creating textures unique to each type. Others were shibori dyed for visual texture,  also a new experience - my "at home" dye process. It was also a lot of fun seeing how colors that were placed over a flat resist gained a life of their own when formed into to the 3D vessel structure.  (Cont'd.) 


Why vases? I wanted to refine my technique for making vessels and wanted the challenge of making a consistent product using the same basic form for each item. I decided to do vases with glass interiors, rather than just plain vessels, for the sheer utilitarianism of the item. A vessel is faced with the limitation that it either works solo, with no contents, or needs to be filled with a solid core of some sort, unless dry materials are used. I thought I would bypass this issue by making felted items that could be used with everything. These vases make great gifts - perfect for a small bouquet or bunch of flowers on Mother's Day - or as a wonderful housewarming gift.